Parkinson's disease (PD) belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, which are the result of the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells.
The four primary symptoms of PD are:
- Tremor, or trembling in hands, arms, legs, jaw, and face;
- Rigidity, or stiffness of the limbs and trunk;
- Bradykinesia, or slowness of movement; and
- Postural instability, or impaired balance and coordination.
As these symptoms become more pronounced, patients may have difficulty walking, talking, or completing other simple tasks.
PD usually affects people over the age of 60.
How Physical Therapy Can Help
THERAPY1ONE offers LSVT treatment for Parkinson's patients.LSVT is an intensive, effective, one-on-one treatment created to help people with Parkinson's disease (PD) and other neurological conditions address walking, balance and other activities of daily living (for example, writing, dressing and getting up from low chairs) or even job-related tasks.
- Improve your fitness level, strength, and flexibility
- Develop more effective strategies to get in and out of bed, chairs, and cars
- Rollover in bed more easily
- Stand and turn to change directions more efficiently
- Improve the smoothness and coordination of your walking
- Improve your ability to perform hand movements
- Decrease your risk of falling
- Climb and descend stairs and curbs
- Participate in activities that are important to you
We are here to help. For more information about our Parkinson’s Disease rehabilitation program, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Panama City Office: (850) 763-0603
Panama City Beach Office: (850) 236-7497